Apr 08

Meeting Minutes from the 4/7/2021 meeting

President Pat Dodson, V.P. Rod Johnson and Secretary/ Treasurer Randy Stout as officers were present when the Meeting started at 7:03 at the clubhouse in Creswell. There were 13 Members in attendance. The only guest was Shelly Humble who gave the following report:

Her first comment was to note the passing of neighbor Jerry Narcia, who passed away recently from Cancer.

Airport Update:

1.  Taxi-lane project complete just finishing closeout procedures with the FAA and ODA.

2.  Finalizing contracts for the Emergency Operations Generator installation which includes

     a.  Creation of a road behind the 5 40 x 50 hangars on the north end

     b.  Installation of 3 generators (1 at EOC, 1 at Main bldg., and 1 at Electrical Shack)

3.  Runway rehabilitation design has started, a streaked horn lark geologist will be at the airport on the 20th to complete a required FAA study.  Will also be completing a GEO study, and Environmental study.

I will be working on the justification for the 500 foot extension so if I call for help, please help.

4.  Airport noticed that we are the recipient of a grant in the amount of $160,000 to install a new PAPI, more to come on that.

5.  City has requested that the Airport hold a July 4th event.  Kona Ice has already committed to being at the airport from 10 am to noon.   We can work together to mold the event to both the airport and EAA’s vision.

6.  Airport has purchased a courtesy car to replace the Volvo that is no longer running, it is a Jeep Patriot.  Joel is replacing some parts to make it “brand new” to us – this is a great addition to the airport.

7.  Eugene Radio Club – I have been having conversations with Howard Saxon regarding relocating to the airport.  The City believes that this is a positive move and would like to see this happen.  Possible locations are behind the EOC, at the main FBO, etc.  In the interim they are interested in having conversations as to whether or not they could utilize the EAA club house for their monthly meetings until we define a permanent location.

8.  Legislative Update:  HH (House Bill) 2034 is a stand alone bill that would remove the sunset clause of the COAR grant funding system.  If this bill does not pass the COAR program which will hurt small airports like Creswell.  The COAR grants are a match to the FAA grants (FAA grant = 90%, COAR = 9%, and City = 1%).

There is another bill HB3055 but it is an Omnibus bill and is loaded with many transportation “wants”.

9.  North End development is still moving forward, you will start seeing some work on the north end – we will need to bore some holes to test the soils to find the most acceptable areas for the wastewater leach field.

10.  Fuel prices ……Take a guess??

Thanks Shelly as always!

The business portion of the meeting was then called to order.

  • Checkbook balance was $1788.36 as of the date of the meeting. Please note that 2021 dues are due and have been received from only 18 members so far. Please mail the $25 check to: EAA Chapter 31, 86277 Panorama Rd., Springfield, OR  97478   Thanks!!

We had hoped to have Kyle Bushman give a presentation, but he came down with a cold (hopefully) and had to cancel. We expect that next month we can enjoy his experiences, which are many and varied!

President Pat met with John Kuehl, Rod Johnson, Gary Ludeke and Bill Dewey about hosting a YE event on July 4th. They will plan on holding the event. Pat has applied for EAA insurance for the event. They intend to have the EAA Clubhouse handle all the food needs and the FBO become the place to stage the flights. All interested pilots or volunteers are asked to contact Pat. Thanks guys!!

President Pat hosted a nice event with Mark Bailets on working with fiberglass. Mark has extensive experience in this area and had a lot of valuable info to share. This occurred on Saturday March 20th. Thanks to Pat for hosting him and his whole family at his house overnight!

We were also told that the Eugene Radio Club, the Ham Radio group, may want to rent the clubhouse for their meetings. The clubhouse is available at $250/Year or $50 per night to aviation groups. Their work with emergency services qualifies them. We will report as things progress.

Mat Northway then relayed his “Precautionary Landing” experience this last month. Total loss of power and about 20 seconds to land it successfully, which he did!! Turns out his throttle linkage had decided to malfunction. His 1929 Bird with the 160 Kinner is back in the air and buzzing our strip weekly!! Good job Mat!

There being no other business, John Kuehl played the (short) Chapter Video from National and a Homebuilders Corner video on dual head ratchets and a new tool to tighten panel jacks.

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:05PM

After the meeting, several people worked on getting the recently donated flight simulator working. Gary Ludeke will work on it further to see if we can get the radio stack and throttle module working.

Respectfully submitted,

Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

Apr 07

Chapter 31 April Meeting

We are having our Chapter 31 meeting at 7:00pm tonight 4/07/2021 at the Chapter 31 clubhouse, south end of the Creswell airport. Please come early and visit with other members.

Unfortunately, Kyle Bushman with The Ragwood Refactory is ill and doesn’t feel it would be wise for him to be talking to a room full of people. Hopefully I can re-schedule him for another time.

Having said all that, we have plenty to talk about.

Shelly Humble will give us an up-date on the goings on at the airport.

We need to briefly touch on the Young Eagles Flights program that we have scheduled for July 4th.

Hand out awards sent from the EAA National.

EAA Chapter video.

Pat Dodson

Apr 06

April Chapter 31 Meeting Reminder

Just wanted to reminder everyone that we will be having a Chapter 31 IN PERSON meeting. The meeting is Wednesday, April 7th, 7:00pm at the Chapter 31 club house at the south end of the Creswell Airport. You are welcome to come early to visit and catch up with other members.

On the agender will be…

1) Shelly Humble will give a general up-date regarding the goings on at the airport.

2) Young Eagles event scheduled for the 4th of July

3) And the BIG ONE, Kyle Bushman will be making a presentation.

As is usual these days, face covering is required.

Thank, Pat Dodson

Apr 05

Heads up! Chapter 31 April Meeting. Wednesday 4/07/2021, 7:00 pm

Our April Chapter 31 meeting will be Wednesday April 7 at 7:00pm. The meeting will be at the chapter clubhouse located at the south end of the Creswell Airport.

Kyle Bushman, The Ragwood Refactory, has volunteered to give a presentation of all the things he has done, is doing and what he offers. Kyle is a huge asset to the Creswell Airport community and this should be very enjoyable (and informative) evening.

Also Shelly Humble will be giving us an update on the Airport goings on.

We are planning on trying to do a Young Eagles on July 4th this year and will be asking for volunteers.

As is usual, face coverings will be required.

Pat Doson

Mar 19

Final Reminder, Chapter 31 Saturday Fiberglass workshop.

Chapter 31 is having a fiberglass workshop on Saturday March 20 at 9:00am. Meeting is at the clubhouse at the south end of the Creswell Airport.

Face coverings will be required.

Thanks, Pat Dodson

Mar 16

Saturday, March 20 Fiber Glass Workshop

Just wanted to send out another reminder about the fiber glass presentation this coming Saturday, March 20th at 9:00am. We will be meeting at the Chapter 31 clubhouse at the south end of the Creswell Airport.

Presenter will be Mark Bailets. Mark formerly worked at Lockeed and Scaled Composites. He will be doing a brief power point before talking about and answering questions about fiber glassing . He is bringing tools, etc. to show and tell.

Face coverings will be required.

Thanks, Pat

Mar 13

Reminder, Saturday 3/20/21 Workshop on working with Fiberglass

I wanted to put out a reminder that we will be having a workshop on working with fiberglass. If you have an interest in making or repairing fiberglass parts such as wing tips, wheel pants, etc., come and join us.

We will be meeting at 9:00 am, Saturday March 20 at the Chapter 31 Clubhouse at the Creswell Airport.

The presenter will be Mark Bailets who has an extensive background in composites and has worked for Lockeed and Burt Rutan. He will be giving a short power point regarding his background as well as demonstrations.

Masks will be reqired.

Pat Dodson

Mar 04

Meeting Minutes from the 3/3/2021 meeting

EAA Chapter 31 Meeting, March 3rd, 2021

President Pat Dodson, V.P. Rod Johnson and Secretary/ Treasurer Randy Stout as officers were present when the Meeting started at 7:00 sharp at the clubhouse in Creswell. There were 15 Members in attendance. The guests were Casey Baker and his son, who is now our newest member. He is interested in a Zenith CH750, and so was put in touch with the Guru on all things Zenith, Gary Ludeke.

The business portion of the meeting was then called to order.

  • Checkbook balance was $1588.20 as of the date of the meeting. Please note that 2021 dues are due and have been received from only 15 members so far. Please mail the $25 check to: EAA Chapter 31, 86277 Panorama Rd., Springfield, OR  97478   Thanks!!
  • Not sure if you have paid? Here is a list of the paid memberships and date of last payment:
21 PdDuesLastPaidOnStatusLastNameFirstName
Yes3/3/2021MBRBakerCasey
2/7/2018MBRBealJames
3/5/2020MBRBuckhouseTHOMAS
Yes3/3/2021MBRBuehlerPaul
1/2/2019MBRCarverJames
Yes2/22/2021MBRCOLEDAVID
Life1/4/1999MBRDAVISLARRY
Yes2/21/2021MBRDeweyBill
1/8/2020MBRDickDavid
Yes2/10/2021MBRDodsonPat
Yes3/3/2021MBREASONDAVE
Life1/5/2005MBRENTENMANNKARL
2/5/2020MBRFarryEric
4/12/2018MBRFosterDwight
7/20/2019MBRGONZALEZTONY
2/6/2020MBRHastingsTom
2/15/2020MBRHORNJOHN
1/8/2020MBRJOHNSONRod
1/3/2018MBRKINDREDDOUG
Yes3/3/2021MBRKUEHLJOHN
Yes3/3/2021MBRLUDEKEGARY
Yes2/10/2021MBRMorseRay
Yes3/3/2021MBRNorthwayMat
2/7/2018MBROrigliossoJim
Life9/3/1997MBRROBINETBILL
1/3/2018MBRSkillernBill
Life1/9/1998MBRSTOUTRANDY
6/6/2018MBRTracyMichael
1/16/2020MBRVoorheesSid
4/15/2019MBRWalkerCharlie
1/8/2020MBRWEISCHEDELWALT
Yes3/3/2021MBRWelchRoger
7/4/2019MBRWhittier Jr.Milton

 If you were not able to pay last year, it would really be appreciated if you could catch up by paying for both years (I know, we didn’t do much last year. However the electric bill and EAA national Dues still had to be paid!!) Secretary Stout noted that he had President Pat turn off 2 of the 3 refrigerators in the clubhouse. He has already noticed a significant drop in electricity costs since this has happened. This is our largest ongoing expense (other than annual national association dues) and costs us between $50-60/ month. By the way, dues have been $25/Year since 1993. What a bargain!!

President Pat noted that next month we will have a very interesting presentation from Mark Bailets on working with fiberglass. Mark has extensive experience in this area and will have a lot of valuable info to share. We will probably do this on a Saturday, so keep an eye on your email for the specifics.

Bill Dewey mentioned that he dinged his wing tip and has finally found (the correct) replacement. Texas Aero Plastic has come through for him.

Gary then suggested (again) that we come up with a design and then install a new sign for the Memorial Garden. The first order of business was to determine the name of the area, and Memorial Garden was chosen to match EAA Nationals area of the same name. Various sign type ideas were discussed with the decision that Gary would look into a Brass plaque type sign and a metal sign from the Creswell sign painter.

Dave Eason brought in some War Bird magazines for the taking, with a lot of great articles in them. He then asked to go through our “Library” and re-organize it and make a sign so folks know that this is a lending library for everyone to take a book home or bring one in. President Pat offered to help, also. Thanks Dave and Pat!!

Mat Northway then relayed his “annual from Hell” experience this winter. The items he replaced or rebuilt were almost more then the ones he didn’t need to touch. His 1929 Bird with the 160 Kinner is back in the air and buzzing our strip weekly!!

President Pat then told the story of bending and forming a bow for his canopy, and the struggles with that.

There being no other business, John Kuehl played the (short) Chapter Video from National and a Homebuilders Corner video on engine mount fabrication.

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:22PM

Respectfully submitted,

Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

« Previous Entries