May 19

Minutes from the 5/6/2015 Meeting

EAA Chapter 31 Meeting, May 6th, 2015

The dinner portion of the meeting started at 6:00 PM hosted by the wonderful Virgil and Bridget Pratt. There were sirloin burgers, hot dogs, potato and green salad along with 2 types of brownies and chips with a drink for only $5. It just keeps getting better!!

The business and entertainment portion of the meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM by President Gary Ludeke, with V.P. John Kuehl and Secretary / Treasurer Randy Stout also present.

There were 22 members in attendance. Guests this time included our speaker for the night, Jim Yourdon, the South Lane Modelers President. These are the nice folks who use our clubhouse once a month (3rd Monday at 7:00PM) for their meetings. They try to fly weekends and Thursdays at their field on Mosby Creek.

After the pledge of allegiance, the group moved to Gary’s hangar to look at several pieces of the RV-3 that we now have, and some of the work that needs to be done. The group then moved back into the clubhouse for the rest of the meeting.

Next Chapter breakfast is May 16th at the clubhouse. $5 for an all you can eat breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, OJ, coffee and camaraderie!! Starts at 9:00 and runs to about 10:30 or so. Bridget Pratt will be gone, but Virgil, Tom Cunningham and Bill Dewey agreed to put it on, and hope that Alan Weider will be there also. Virgil and Bridget will get some supplies for the breakfast (Bacon, Sausage, creamer and syrup)

President Gary spoke about the sign-up sheet we now have for people wanting rides and those willing to give them. It is by the North Door. He also noted that we will move the meeting in June at some time over to Ray Morse’s hangar for a look at his project, before we move back to the clubhouse.

He then spoke about the RV-3 project. It still needs a cowling. Jim Beale is working on the tail wheel. Ray Morse will blast the bigger parts. Randy will blast the smaller parts. The simulator is still here, but will be gone within the week. The project is at the rear of the clubhouse for everyone to see the progress.

The group was reminded that the OAHS in Cottage Grove will be holding their “Wings and Wheels” fund raising event on June 27th. Several people have signed up to show their airplanes.

President Gary then spoke about our Young Eagles event this year on July 4th. Tom Cunningham will be displaying his FireStar airplane during the parade and attending the Chamber meetings on this topic. Rod Johnson and Bridget Pratt agreed to be co-YE chairpersons. Gary has already sent for the insurance from EAA national for the event. We will probably not do a lunch for this event, although it is still an option. Don Cole will try to get some Civil Air Patrol members in to help, subject of course to not being needed for an active search.

It was noted that HR1062 (To amend the Pilot’s Bill of Rights to facilitate appeals and to apply to other certificates issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, to require the revision of the third class medical certification regulations issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, and for other purposes.) is still in committee. Contact Peter DeFazio to express support for this important bill.

We continue to work on the list of items we are still considering selling or buying for the clubhouse. We will continue to look at this list and refine it as we discuss ideas at each upcoming meeting.

 Items to Dispose of:                                      Items to Acquire

Bookcase w/ old magazines                        Table for cooking from Tom C.

Big Work Table                                                 Cabinet for cleaning supplies

4 Better Couches                                             Range Hood

2 Saw Horses                                                     2 New electrical circuits for new cook area

2 old couches                                                    Cabinet for Pop and other supplies

Coffee Maker w/o heat pad                        Re-Design floor plan of clubhouse

Magazines on floor in boxes

Extension cords in rafters
There being no other business, President Gary invited Jim Yourdon, the South Lane RC Modelers President to come forward and tell the group about the RC modelers’ world. Jim spoke about their group, their activities and the way that RC flying has changed recently due to the availability of good battery powered motors. He demonstrated the power of these motors with a model he brought with him, and it was quite impressive. He also showed us how the dual control system works, and related a flying mishap that our illustrious President had (not his fault!!) during a recent meeting at the flying field. He ended his speech inviting all of us to the next meeting at our clubhouse, and to come to their Mosby Creek field and watch them fly sometimes. Thanks Jim for a great talk!!

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:22 pm
respectfully submitted, Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

May 14

BREAKFAST ON SATURDAY!

This is a reminder that our 3rd Saturday of the month breakfast will take place this coming Saturday, May 16 from 9 to 11 a.m. at the clubhouse. All you can eat for FIVE BUCKS is a heck of a deal! Come join us for hangar flying, maybe some real flying if weather permits, and a chance to look at the state of the RV3 project in process in the clubhouse.You’ll also notice that the flight simulator is gone! It has a new home up at the Infinite Air Center, the new Albany FBO. Tony Haan, the FBO owner, loaded it on a trailer with help from Virgil and Bridget Pratt and Bill Dewey. Thanks to you for taking the time to come out and help! As I type this I got a call from Larry Davis with news that Shelley Humble lost control of her car yesterday and was in a rollover accident! Apparently, although the car is a total loss, Shelley and her daughter were uninjured. We’re all thankful for that!

May 01

Meeting Notice and RV3 Project Update

The next regular meeting of Chapter 31 will be on Wednesday, May 6, 2015. Our BBQ starts at 6 p.m. followed by the meeting at 7 p.m. Having heard nothing to the contrary, I believe that Bridget and Virgil Pratt will be handling the BBQ but they can always use extra help, particularly at cleanup time! Our presenter will be Jim Yourdon, President of the South Lane Modelers, who meet monthly in our facility and have a flying field on the south side of Cottage Grove. I had the opportunity to fly an RC model, courtesy of Jim, about a month ago. It was my first time and now the model club has one less training airplane! We’re still looking for someone to step forward and take on the position of Young Eagles Coordinator. This person or persons will be primarily responsible to coordinate the YE activities at this year’s Creswell 4th of July celebration. If someone steps forward in time, they may want to set up some type of activity for International Young Eagles Day in June. In any case, the 4th of July celebration is only two months away – PLEASE HELP!

RV3 PROJECT UPDATE

Van’s located a salvage RV3 and used Wally Anderson, from Synergy Air and Chapter 1457 to haul the stuff down to his facility. For those of you who have contact with him, please give him a hearty THANK YOU! Alan Wieder was very generous, as usual, and used his truck to transport the pieces and parts to my hangar. We unloaded the stuff this morning and now have the all the major pieces to complete the restoration, except for the cowling which Van’s is still searching for. I spent most of today taking the elevators off the horizontal stabilizer. We need the stabilizer, but the elevators we already have are in much better condition than the ones from Van’s. We can do a short visit to my hangar so everyone interested can see what we have. We’ll also start assigning tasks to those interested in helping with the project. As you’ll see, there is a lot of work to be done on these parts. They are, generally, in rough but restorable condition. This project can be a lot of fun, particularly if a lot of us join in and take ownership of some aspect of the project.

President Gary

 

Apr 08

Meeting Minutes from the 4/1/2015 Meeting

EAA Chapter 31 Meeting, April 1st, 2015

The dinner portion of the meeting started at 6:00 PM hosted by the fantastic Virgil and Bridget Pratt. There were both hard and soft Taco’s, and salad along with 2 types of brownies and chips with a drink for only $5. We will just have to see how they top this next month!!

The business and entertainment portion of the meeting was called to order at 7:03 PM by President Gary Ludeke, with V.P. John Kuehl and Secretary / Treasurer Randy Stout also present.

There were 20 members in attendance. Guests this time included the late Dave Heisley’s brother in law, Chuck Lane.

President Gary then spoke about Dave Heisley, who passed away unexpectedly in February. Gary created a nice framed picture that will remain on the clubhouse wall. In addition, the club will buy a large brick for him and install it in the memory garden near the FBO. He also mentioned that the South Lane RC club will be buying a brick, and that Shelly Humble wants to get bricks for Jug Jungnich and Crash the airport Cat, so we should now have enough for another run.

Doug Kindred noted that the Oregon Aviation Historical Society will be inducting Jimmy Reinhardt into the Hall of Fame next Saturday.

Next Chapter breakfast is April 18th at the clubhouse. $5 for an all you can eat breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, OJ, coffee and camaraderie!! Starts at 9:00 and runs to about 10:30 or so. Virgil Pratt and Bridget will be gone, but Tom Cunningham, Rod Johnson and Bill Dewey agreed to put it on, and hope that Alan Weider will be there also. It was also noted that the OACAC will be having their meeting in Independence on this date, so come for breakfast and head up for the meeting.

President Gary spoke about the sign-up sheet we now have for people wanting rides and those willing to give them. It is by the North Door. He also noted that we will move the meeting in June at some time over to Ray Morse’s hangar for a look at his project, before we move back to the clubhouse.

He then spoke about the donated (by Phillip Mandel) RV-3 that is in need of much work and parts. He and Bill brought into the clubhouse all the parts we have for appraisal, and he received a nice letter from Van’s indicating their willingness to help with parts and possibly funds. This project is growing legs and should be a great way for people to get hands on experience with many facets of homebuilt aircraft procedures. He has a list of volunteers and would love to add more names to it. Some discussion followed about the cockpit detail needed, which depends on how it will be displayed.

It was noted that Bill Dewey and Gary Ludeke planted some shrubs in the Honor garden, and Dave Eason used his flame thrower and got rid of a bunch of weeds. Thanks guys!!

President Gary then noted that we need a Young Eagles Co-coordinator for the coming year. Ken Schmidt was nominated, but in as much as he wasn’t present, we cannot assume that he will take on this duty. He also suggested that Don Cole would be a good choice, but again, his absence made it impossible to confirm that we have this important job covered.

We continue to work on the list of items we are still considering selling or buying for the clubhouse. We will continue to look at this list and refine it as we discuss ideas at each upcoming meeting.

 Items to Dispose of:                                      Items to Acquire

2 Gas Grills  (Donated to City of Creswell)  4 Better Couches

Bookcase w/ old magazines                        Table for cooking from Tom C.

Big Work Table                                            Cabinet for cleaning supplies

Simulator (given to Albany FBO)                    Range Hood

2 Saw Horses                                                  2 New electrical circuits for new cook area

2 old couches                                                  Cabinet for Pop and other supplies

Coffee Maker w/o heat pad                        Re-Design floor plan of clubhouse

Magazines on floor in boxes

Extension cords in rafters

President Gary then presented a “Words of Wisdom” list on the screen (taken directly from a fishing list that was somewhat similar) and it was well received. We then showed the Monthly EAA Chapter Magazine which also was warmly received.

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:25 pm
respectfully submitted, Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

Apr 06

RV-3 Project Update

I just got the message, copied below, from Van’s Aircraft. This is really great news as it can mean a BIG reduction in the amount of work we have to do! Someone spoke to me at last Wednesday’s meeting about power washing the fuselage and wings. I’m sorry I forgot who it was I talked to (old age strikes again!) so, whoever it was with the power washer, please call me at 541-914-8605 and maybe we can plan to do this sometime later this week. Thanks!

President Gary

Gary, I’ve got some pretty good news. We’ve located a bunch of RV-3
parts locally from a decommissioned airplane. Sounds like we can probably
get you most of the parts you need from it….the best news is that things like
the canopy and cowl will already be assembled! I’ll be contacting the owner
this week and we’ll hopefully be able to pick up the parts in the next two
weeks. I’ll keep you in the loop. Scott/Van’s

Mar 17

STATUS OF THE RV3 RESTORATION PROJECT FOR THE OAHS

I just received a response to the letter I sent to Van’s Aircraft last week. It looks like the project is a GO! Below is a copy of the letter I sent and Van’s email response. I’d like to jump into this quickly to build momentum and enthusiasm for the project. I think the first order of business will be to get rid of, or temporarily relocate, the bigger items in the clubhouse (mainly the simulator, grills and couches) so we can bring in at least some of aircraft parts to begin work.) For those who will be at Saturday’s breakfast, we can discuss the specifics of how best to proceed on this. I hope that all of you who are interested in this project can make it to the breakfast. . . . . . . President Gary

March 12, 2015

 

Van’s Aircraft

14401 Keil Road NE

Aurora, Oregon 97002

 

The Creswell, Oregon Chapter (Chapter 31) of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) has been approached by the Oregon Aviation Historical Society (OAHS) to restore, to display quality only, an RV3 that was donated to the OAHS back in the late 1980’s. The OAHS would like to create a display honoring Richard VanGrunsven and Van’s Aircraft. The RV3 airplane to be restored would become the centerpiece of this display. As you know, Mr. VanGrunsven was inducted into the Oregon Aviation Hall of Fame in 2006. He also was a founding member of EAA Chapter 31 in 1957.

The aircraft that is to be restored was built by an Oregon resident by the name of Henkes (first name unknown at this point) and first flew in 1976. In 1980 the aircraft experienced an engine out accident after takeoff from Canby, Oregon and was never repaired. The OAHS has the gutted fuselage with some damage to the tail cone. They also have the original wings with flaps and ailerons, and a vertical stabilizer and rudder that appear to not be from the original airplane.

In order to perform the restoration, our chapter is going to have to acquire and/or construct the following:

  • Either an engine mount, or a welded frame that will allow the main landing gear to be attached to the airframe. We don’t intend to install an engine since this will be for static display only, but we’ll have to fabricate something to hold a propeller on the aircraft.
  • Engine cowling
  • Main and tail wheel gear assemblies. Brakes won’t be necessary for a static display.
  • Since the interior of the aircraft is totally gutted, we probably would not attempt to install and interior and, therefore, we would “frost” the canopy glass unless the aircraft is hung from the ceiling and the interior is not viewable by the visiting public.
  • Horizontal stabilizer and elevators.
  • Primer and paint

Since the aircraft is to be a tribute to Mr. VanGrunsven and Van’s Aircraft our intent would be to paint the aircraft to look like the RV3 that appeared at the 1973 EAA Convention and won the award for Best New Design.

We are very much interested in whether or not Van’s Aircraft is interested and willing to help us either financially and/or through the donation of materials necessary to complete the restoration. We are planning to perform the restoration work primarily in the Chapter 31 clubhouse located on the Creswell Airport (Hobby Field). We have a number of members who have stepped forward to volunteer their time and tools to perform this work. Depending upon how quickly we can obtain the necessary materials to do the work, we anticipate having the aircraft ready for the museum by September or October of this year. The OAHS envisions a public event at the OAHS Museum located at the Cottage Grove Airport to introduce the exhibit. This event would include an RV fly-in at the Cottage Grove Airport. We would plan a date when Mr. VanGrunsven would be able to attend, hopefully with other past and present employees of Van’s Aircraft.

You may respond to me either by telephone at 541-914-8605 or email at rv6an200gl@charter.net.

Sincerely,

Gary Ludeke, President

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Gary, Van’s would be happy to help out with components for the restoration
of the RV-3. As we’re always working under a budget, we would appreciate
a reasonably accurate list of the parts you think you’ll need to make it
happen and estimated cost of the items that you feel will need to be sourced
outside of Van’s. We may be able to help out with those items also but for
now, can commit to at least the Van’s supplied components that you
mentioned in your letter. We’d like to have a decent idea of the overall cost
to Van’s before we commit any farther than that.

We appreciate your support and recognition of Richard and Van’s Aircraft!

Best, Scott Risan
President
Van’s Aircraft, Inc.

Mar 09

Minutes from the 3/4/2015 Meeting

EAA Chapter 31 Meeting, March 4th, 2015

The dinner portion of the meeting started at 6:00 PM hosted by the wonderful Virgil and Bridget Pratt. There was a whole bunch of spaghetti, French bread, and salad along with 2 types of brownies and chips with a drink for only $5. Wow- and you just wait until next time. We will have a taco extravaganza!!

The business and entertainment portion of the meeting was called to order at 6:59 PM by President Gary Ludeke, (V.P. John Kuehl was out) and Secretary / Treasurer Randy Stout present.

There were 23 members in attendance. Guests this time included past president and EAA Hall of Famer, Tim Talen!!

President Gary then spoke about the memorial service for Dave Heisley, who passed away unexpectedly last month. We had 8 members attend and all spoke highly of his work for the club. Gary created a nice framed picture that will remain on the clubhouse wall. In addition, the club will buy a large brick for him and install it in the memory garden near the FBO. Bill Dewey also cut Dave’s widow’s grass today.

Next Chapter breakfast is March 21st  at the clubhouse. $5 for an all you can eat breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, OJ, coffee and camaraderie!! Starts at 9:00 and runs to about 10:30 or so. Virgil Pratt and Bridget will be gone, but Tom Cunningham and Alan Weider have agreed to head it up. It was also noted that Albany now has a new FBO that Tom Hahn is running. He will have a lunch/open house on 3/21, so shoot up there after the breakfast.

President Gary spoke about the sign-up sheet we now have for people wanting rides and those willing to give them. It is by the North Door. He also noted that we will move the meeting at some time next month over to Ray Morse’s hangar for a look at his project, before we move back to the clubhouse. President Gary thought a spot landing and flour bombing event would be fun (and he is still looking into the insurance requirement before proceeding)

He then spoke about an exciting opportunity that the Oregon Aviation Historical Society has presented to the club. They have a donated RV-3 that is in need of much work and parts. Tim Talen then spoke about the importance that Dick Van-Grunsven had on Chapter 31 (he was a founding member in 1957) and on Oregon Aviation as a whole. This would be a great project for the club to take on under Gary’s experienced leadership, with the goal to make a nice looking by not airworthy craft for display at the Oregon Aviation History Museum in Cottage Grove, and for a float display for the 4th of July Creswell parade if not others as well.

Gary then spoke about Independence Chapter 292’s work on the (Fascet Mobile, Wing Fan??) (I have no idea of that spelling!!) which sort of looks like a mini F-117 and suggested that the club members fly up to look at it some Saturday after breakfast. He also noted that Creswell Chamber of Commerce will have their annual fund raising auction and dinner on the 20th, and several members offered to let them auction off rides (personally, with no connection to EAA Chapter 31). It was suggested that they check with EAA National before they did this to be assured that an individual can make this offer without coming against some FAA reg. that requires drug testing etc.

Secretary Stout then gave a brief talk about the history of Chapter 31, starting in 1957 with Darrell Delong placing an ad in the RG and several people meeting in his house. Over the years, the meeting spot changed many times, the Creswell Air-Fair was an on again, off again event that they hosted, and so many projects, fly-outs, picnics, and fun was had, that we have no space here to list it. By 1993, when the current clubhouse was purchased, erected and finished, we had in excess of 100 active members. With the current 50 paid members now, we have a ways to go to make the club exciting and interesting again. The RV-3 project should help.

Here is a list of items we are still considering selling or buying for the clubhouse. During the discussion tonight, it was suggested that  the simulator gauges be removed and used on the RV-3, discarding the rest of the unit. We will continue to look at this list and refine it as we discuss ideas at each upcoming meeting.

 Items to Dispose of:                                      Items to Acquire

2 Gas Grills                                                          4 Better Couches

Bookcase w/ old magazines                        Table for cooking from Tom C.

Big Work Table                                                 Cabinet for cleaning supplies

Simulator                                                            Range Hood

2 Saw Horses                                                     2 New electrical circuits for new cook area

2 old couches                                                    Cabinet for Pop and other supplies

Coffee Maker w/o heat pad                        Re-Design floor plan of clubhouse

Magazines on floor in boxes

Extension cords in rafters

There being no other business, the President decided not to play the EAA Monthly Magazine on the Video projector as the time was late.  We will view it next meeting.

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:40 pm
respectfully submitted, Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

Feb 09

Meeting Minutes from the 2/4/2015 meeting

EAA Chapter 31 Meeting, February 4th, 2015

The dinner portion of the meeting started at 6:00 PM hosted by the wonderful Virgil and Bridget Pratt. There was pulled pork and salad along with 2 types of brownies and cookies and  chips with a drink for only $5. Wow- and you just wait until next time. We will have a spaghetti feast!!

The business and entertainment portion of the meeting was called to order at 7:01 PM by President Gary Ludeke, (V.P. John Kuehl was out) and Secretary / Treasurer Randy Stout present.

There were 19 members in attendance. No guests this time, as all had joined as members!! Thanks to Bill Johnson for forgiving me on not remembering his name!!

Walt Weischedel spent time this last month sweeping and mopping the clubhouse (Thanks Walt!). He and the Secretary are suggesting that we get rid of a bunch on unused furniture and fixtures and buy a few items to make the clubhouse more accommodating. That list is as follows:

Items to Dispose of:                                       Items to Acquire

2 Gas Grills                                                          4 Better Couches

Bookcase w/ old magazines                        Table for cooking from Tom C.

Big Work Table                                                 Cabinet for cleaning supplies

Simulator                                                            Range Hood

2 Saw Horses                                                     2 New electrical circuits for new cook area

2 old couches                                                    Cabinet for Pop and other supplies

Coffee Maker w/o heat pad                        Re-Design floor plan of clubhouse

Magazines on floor in boxes

Extension cords in rafters

These items will be discussed and voted on at the next meeting.

Dave Heisley noted that the water will be turned off for a period of time in order to continue with his rights as water master to Chapter 31.

Pat Dotson has received a group of tools that were donated to Chapter 31 by Ron Rinaldi, and he has assessing their value at around $600. He then offered to purchase them for $300. Virgil Pratt questioned why we couldn’t make them available to the club on a loan basis. The Secretary spoke about the past attempt at this program, and the lack of success we had with it. As with most programs and projects, when we have a sparkplug individual who will run it, good things can and do often happen. Without this person, most ideas never get off the ground, or fail in the end.

The floor was opened up for other bids, and none being received, it was agreed to sell them to him at this price.

Next Chapter breakfast is February 21st  at the clubhouse. $5 for an all you can eat breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, OJ, coffee and camaraderie!! Starts at 9:00 and runs to about 10:30 or so. Virgil Pratt has offered to oversee this breakfast, but due to Bridget having to be gone, asked for volunteers to help cook. He got several volunteers, including Tom Cunningham, Allen Weider and Rod Johnson. Come and bring your appetite!!

The President then asked for a Treasurers report, which was as follows: The club now has a balance of $3354.80 in the checkbook, with no outstanding debts. 50 paid or life members as of 12/31/14

President Gary then gave his “State of the Chapter” address. He first He noted that we have accomplished many things last year and hopes we can do the same this year. Specifically he mentioned that we flew 93 Young Eagles on July 4th (with hopes that we will do this again this year),  purchased and installed a new entry gate, helped get the Mural on the FBO refurbished, got the “Buy a Brick” program off and running (by the way, we need a few more bricks to be bought in order for the next batch to be produced) and finished the memorial area for these bricks, helped mow the Creswell airport grass (thanks Tom!), promoted the chapter via Newspaper articles and responses to letters to the editor, Hosted the League of Cities group and the Coffee and Cars group at the clubhouse and had a joint Christmas party with chapter 1457. Also, we now have the Quiet Birdmen (QB’s) using the clubhouse monthly along with the South Lane Modelers who use it on the 3rd  Monday of the month.

In addition to all these activities, we had several very interesting speakers at the meetings, including Dick Hyman- a WWII and Korea pilot, Tony and Shawn from Specialty Aero, Harry Anderson- around the world flyer, Dr. Hansen, the DME, Ron Rinaldi and his WW1 replica airplane project, and Jim Showker with his exotic airplane. Wow! This has been a fun year!

For the coming year, Virgil Pratt suggested that we get several of the members to give a presentation on the fun and frustration of their current or just past project. (A “What went wrong and how I fixed it” kind of talk), Dave Eason liked the “Make a Tool” program and hopes that we will continue with that, and also invite an instructor to give the whole group an airspace refresher. President Gary thought a spot landing and flour bombing event would be fun (and he will look into the insurance requirement before proceeding)

All these ideas will be worked on and talked about during the next few weeks, and we should have a great list of ideas we can enjoy during this next year. Thanks to everyone for contributing!!

There being no other business, the President then played the EAA Monthly Magazine on the Video projector. This one featured Balloons and cylinder valve diagnosis. Very interesting and great photography!

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:22 pm
respectfully submitted, Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

« Older blog posts