Minutes from the 9/5/2018 meeting

EAA Chapter 31 Meeting, September 5th, 2018

The dinner portion of the meeting started at 6:00 PM with Hot Dogs and Hamburgers, salad, huge amounts of apple pie and a drink for only $8! Thanks to Charlie Walker and Tom Cunningham and all the guys for helping out.

The meeting started with the pledge of allegiance lead by President John Kuehl at 7:01 PM. (Vice President Gary Ludeke was off on his 50th wedding anniversary trip and therefore absent) Secretary/ Treasurer Randy Stout was also present. The business and entertainment portion of the meeting was then called to order. There were 23 members and guests in attendance. Among the Guests was Noah Forest, who owns Brooks Auto Doctor and is interested in starting an aircraft project. Also our newest member’s family, the Messers (Shaomei and the 3 kids) were here in force. Welcome to all!!

The President then had all the members and guests in attendance quickly introduce themselves and give a short comment related to their aviation activities.
President John then gave out fuel vouchers for all the YE pilots who flew kids this year. If you didn’t get yours yet, please contact John ASAP. They are good until November 18th.

Doug Kindred then spoke about the RV-3 dedication at the OAHM museum in Cottage Grove the weekend before. It was well attended and Richard VanGrunsven spoke at length about his history and that of the RV-3. He thanked everyone who was able to attend. The OAHM in CG also hosted the Great Oregon Homebuilt fly-in on that Labor Day weekend.

Next Chapter breakfast is Saturday, September 15th. Come out to the clubhouse in the AM and pay $8 for an “all you can eat” breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, OJ, coffee and camaraderie!! Starts at 9:00 and runs to about 10:30 or so. Thanks in advance for all the guys who show up and cook the meal!

Secretary Stout then reminded the group about name tags. Everyone in attendance should have their name tag on, just to make sure we get to know each other better. Also, the check book balance is $3359.48

Rod Johnson then rose to present his current project, a cloth aviators helmet that fit around a pair of David Clark headsets. It was well made and a compliment to his skills.

Charlie Walker then suggested we review our YE procedures. His suggestions and others in the group revolved around getting a working PA system to announce to the groups (waiting for their turns) that they were up, and perhaps we could commandeer the Courtesy Car to run kids down to the airplanes that were waiting for riders. More volunteers are what is really needed and then the training to go with them. John will try to make these both happen prior to our next YE flying event. It was also suggested that we could fly YE’s every breakfast.

President John was asked to talk to Shelly Humble, (our airport manager), about paving the section of taxiway that is near our north door so that airplanes could make a loop for loading/unloading YE’s. He will also talk to Dorothy Schick about running a “Flying Start” program out of the hangar. He held up a brochure that EAA national has given for this purpose.

John also gave a quick Oshkosh report — he was blown away by the Fireworks show and the Drone show each night!

Darrell Durossette rose to ask if we could have more hands-on seminars or presentations during our meetings. He offered to provide materials and lesson plans to help this along. He also noted that there will be a shortage of both pilots and mechanics in the very near future, so this career path is an excellent choice for those who aren’t sure what they want to do with their lives. Our speaker next month is expected to be Todd Hamilton from the Creswell School District. He will be able to talk about the plans for aviation that they are working on for the students this year.

There being no further business, President John put the EAA Chapter Video on the screen and we enjoyed another great presentation.

There being no other business, the meeting was then adjourned at 8:05PM

respectfully submitted,
Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

Comments Off on Minutes from the 9/5/2018 meeting

Comments are closed.