Mar 16

Saturday, March 20 Fiber Glass Workshop

Just wanted to send out another reminder about the fiber glass presentation this coming Saturday, March 20th at 9:00am. We will be meeting at the Chapter 31 clubhouse at the south end of the Creswell Airport.

Presenter will be Mark Bailets. Mark formerly worked at Lockeed and Scaled Composites. He will be doing a brief power point before talking about and answering questions about fiber glassing . He is bringing tools, etc. to show and tell.

Face coverings will be required.

Thanks, Pat

Mar 13

Reminder, Saturday 3/20/21 Workshop on working with Fiberglass

I wanted to put out a reminder that we will be having a workshop on working with fiberglass. If you have an interest in making or repairing fiberglass parts such as wing tips, wheel pants, etc., come and join us.

We will be meeting at 9:00 am, Saturday March 20 at the Chapter 31 Clubhouse at the Creswell Airport.

The presenter will be Mark Bailets who has an extensive background in composites and has worked for Lockeed and Burt Rutan. He will be giving a short power point regarding his background as well as demonstrations.

Masks will be reqired.

Pat Dodson

Mar 04

Meeting Minutes from the 3/3/2021 meeting

EAA Chapter 31 Meeting, March 3rd, 2021

President Pat Dodson, V.P. Rod Johnson and Secretary/ Treasurer Randy Stout as officers were present when the Meeting started at 7:00 sharp at the clubhouse in Creswell. There were 15 Members in attendance. The guests were Casey Baker and his son, who is now our newest member. He is interested in a Zenith CH750, and so was put in touch with the Guru on all things Zenith, Gary Ludeke.

The business portion of the meeting was then called to order.

  • Checkbook balance was $1588.20 as of the date of the meeting. Please note that 2021 dues are due and have been received from only 15 members so far. Please mail the $25 check to: EAA Chapter 31, 86277 Panorama Rd., Springfield, OR  97478   Thanks!!
  • Not sure if you have paid? Here is a list of the paid memberships and date of last payment:
21 PdDuesLastPaidOnStatusLastNameFirstName
Yes3/3/2021MBRBakerCasey
2/7/2018MBRBealJames
3/5/2020MBRBuckhouseTHOMAS
Yes3/3/2021MBRBuehlerPaul
1/2/2019MBRCarverJames
Yes2/22/2021MBRCOLEDAVID
Life1/4/1999MBRDAVISLARRY
Yes2/21/2021MBRDeweyBill
1/8/2020MBRDickDavid
Yes2/10/2021MBRDodsonPat
Yes3/3/2021MBREASONDAVE
Life1/5/2005MBRENTENMANNKARL
2/5/2020MBRFarryEric
4/12/2018MBRFosterDwight
7/20/2019MBRGONZALEZTONY
2/6/2020MBRHastingsTom
2/15/2020MBRHORNJOHN
1/8/2020MBRJOHNSONRod
1/3/2018MBRKINDREDDOUG
Yes3/3/2021MBRKUEHLJOHN
Yes3/3/2021MBRLUDEKEGARY
Yes2/10/2021MBRMorseRay
Yes3/3/2021MBRNorthwayMat
2/7/2018MBROrigliossoJim
Life9/3/1997MBRROBINETBILL
1/3/2018MBRSkillernBill
Life1/9/1998MBRSTOUTRANDY
6/6/2018MBRTracyMichael
1/16/2020MBRVoorheesSid
4/15/2019MBRWalkerCharlie
1/8/2020MBRWEISCHEDELWALT
Yes3/3/2021MBRWelchRoger
7/4/2019MBRWhittier Jr.Milton

 If you were not able to pay last year, it would really be appreciated if you could catch up by paying for both years (I know, we didn’t do much last year. However the electric bill and EAA national Dues still had to be paid!!) Secretary Stout noted that he had President Pat turn off 2 of the 3 refrigerators in the clubhouse. He has already noticed a significant drop in electricity costs since this has happened. This is our largest ongoing expense (other than annual national association dues) and costs us between $50-60/ month. By the way, dues have been $25/Year since 1993. What a bargain!!

President Pat noted that next month we will have a very interesting presentation from Mark Bailets on working with fiberglass. Mark has extensive experience in this area and will have a lot of valuable info to share. We will probably do this on a Saturday, so keep an eye on your email for the specifics.

Bill Dewey mentioned that he dinged his wing tip and has finally found (the correct) replacement. Texas Aero Plastic has come through for him.

Gary then suggested (again) that we come up with a design and then install a new sign for the Memorial Garden. The first order of business was to determine the name of the area, and Memorial Garden was chosen to match EAA Nationals area of the same name. Various sign type ideas were discussed with the decision that Gary would look into a Brass plaque type sign and a metal sign from the Creswell sign painter.

Dave Eason brought in some War Bird magazines for the taking, with a lot of great articles in them. He then asked to go through our “Library” and re-organize it and make a sign so folks know that this is a lending library for everyone to take a book home or bring one in. President Pat offered to help, also. Thanks Dave and Pat!!

Mat Northway then relayed his “annual from Hell” experience this winter. The items he replaced or rebuilt were almost more then the ones he didn’t need to touch. His 1929 Bird with the 160 Kinner is back in the air and buzzing our strip weekly!!

President Pat then told the story of bending and forming a bow for his canopy, and the struggles with that.

There being no other business, John Kuehl played the (short) Chapter Video from National and a Homebuilders Corner video on engine mount fabrication.

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:22PM

Respectfully submitted,

Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

Mar 03

Last Reminder, Chapter 31 March meeting Tonight, 7:00 pm!

Remember to attend tonight’s March Chapter 31 meeting at 700 pm. Bring ideas with you as to what future subjects you might want to see presented at a meeting.

I have tentatively Mark Bailets for a Fiber Glassing class on Saturday, March 20th at 9:00 am.

Remember, face coverings will be required.

Thank you, Pat Dodson

Mar 01

March Chapter 31 meeting this Wednesday 03/03/2021

Just another reminder that we are having an in person Chapter 31 meeting this Wednesday, March 3rd at 7:00 pm. The meeting is at the Chapter club house at the south end of the Creswell Airport.

Face covering(s) will be required.

We will want to confirm a date for Mark Bailets to come and give a class on making fiberglass parts. I have tentatively scheduled him for Saturday, March 20 at 9:00 am. Also, be thinking about what you might be interested in making (wheel pants, wing tips, etc.).

Thanks, Pat Dodson

Feb 26

March Chapter 31 meeting, 3/03/2021

We will be holding our Chapter 31 meeting in person this month. Meeting will be Wednesday, March 3rd, 7:00 pm at the Chapter 31 clubhouse at the south end of the Creswell Airport. Face coverings will be required.

I am trying to set up a clinic on fiber glassing so people will want to be thinking of something specific that they would be interested in having demonstrated ( such as wing tips, wheel pants, etc.). This would best be done on a Saturday when our time could be more open end. I would suggest Saturday, March 20. I would have to confirm any dates we select with the presenter.

Again, face covering will be required.

Pat Dodson

Feb 18

Meeting Minutes from the 2/3/2021 Zoom meeting

EAA Chapter 31 Meeting, February 3rd, 2021

President Pat Dodson, V.P. Rod Johnson and Secretary/ Treasurer Randy Stout as officers were “present” when the Zoom meeting started at 7:00 sharp. There were 11 Members in attendance along with Shelly the airport Manager. The business portion of the meeting was then called to order.

  • Checkbook balance was $1751.38 as of the date of the meeting. Please note that 2021 dues are due and have been received from only 5 members so far. Please mail the $25 check to: EAA Chapter 31, 86277 Panorama Rd., Springfield, OR  97478   Thanks!!

President Pat then asked our airport manager Shelly Humble to give her presentation about the happenings at Creswell. Here are the notes she sent about that presentation and the one to the airport commissioners:

  1.   Airport Manager’s Updates
    1. Runway Reconstruction Design Update

Ms. Humble gave the Commissioners a brief update on the Runway Reconstruction Design.  Ms. Humble stated that the City should be receiving an FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) AIP (Airport Improvement Program) Grant for 90% and an ODA (Oregon Department of Aviation) COAR (Critical Oregon Airport Relief) grant for 9% of the design.  The Airport will be responsible for 1%.  The design will include runway reconstruction (new base and pavement), new LED runway lights, new PAPI (Precision Approach Path Indicator) for runway 16 and 34, REIL (runway end identifier lights) on each runway ends.  Airport manager stated that she is working with the engineer, and potential new and current users to get FAA approval for the 500-foot runway extension. 

  1. 2020 COAR Grants Update – Generator for EOC

Airport Manager, Shelley Humble, informed the Commissioners that the Airport was successful on receiving the 2020 COAR Grant for Emergency Generators on the airport. A brief discussion regarding the project was held.

2021 COAR Grants Update

Airport Manager Shelley Humble updated the Commissioners as to the status of the 4 COAR 2021 grants that were applied for during this funding cycle.  Ms. Humble stated that the LaneAct ARC (Area Review Committee) has completed their review and the grants will now go before the Oregon Aviation Board for final approval. 

Of the four (4) grants applied for in the 2021 funding cycle, Ms. Humble believes that the City will be awarded the aip Match for the Runway Reconstruction and the Resiliency Grant to purchase a Defender XT with a blade and sweeper attachment, SAT phones, and a Conex Container for storage of EOC materials.

  1. Future Development/Hangar build update

Shelley Humble updated the Commissioners as to the status of the north end development.  Ms. Humble stated that the City has applied for a grant with Business Oregon to design a Wastewater System on the airport to service all tenants. The City is continuing to work with the interested parties regarding the hangar build on the north end.

  1. 2021-2026 SCIP (State Capital Improvement Program) Update

Ms. Humble stated that she is currently working with the Engineer, ODA, and the FAA to update the plan through 2026. 

2021 – Reconstruct Runway 16/34 Phase I – Design & Environmental $150,000

2022 – Reconstruct Runway 16/34 and Runway Lighting – Phase II Construction $2,750,000

2023 – PMP (Pavement Maintenance Program) – $0

2024 – Master Plan and AGIS – $300,000

2025 – Cary Over

2026 – Reconstruct Taxiway Phase I – Design & Environmental $150,000

2027 – Reconstruct Taxiway Phase II – Construction – costs unknown at this time.

Thanks Shelly!!

Secretary Stout noted that he had President Pat turn off 2 of the 3 refrigerators in the clubhouse. He has already noticed a significant drop in electricity costs since this has happened. This is our largest ongoing expense (other than annual national association dues) and costs us between $50-60/ month.

President Pat noted that next month we will have a very interesting presentation from Mark Bailets on working with fiberglass. Mark has extensive experience in this area and will have a lot of valuable info to share. Be sure to join the meeting by Zoom. You will receive the Zoom info from Pat just before the meeting.

Bill Dewey note that he dinged his wing tip and has been looking for a replacement. Texas Aero Plastic has one and he has ordered it now.

Gary Ludeke gave a quick overview of the Zenith CH-750 that he has helped get into the air. It is now back in the air, although the owner, Dale, would like to make wheel and strut fairings. He has put 55 hours on it at this point. The only real issue is getting the proper fuel flow from the wing to the header tank.

Gary then suggested that we come up with a design and then install a new sign for the Memorial Garden. The first order of business is to determine the name of the area, as Memorial Garden was considered by some to be lacking. Various ideas were discussed with more needed before proceeding.

There being no other business, John Kuehl played the (short) Chapter Video from National.

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:02PM

Respectfully submitted,

Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

Feb 02

Reminder! Wednesday February 3rd Chapter 31 meeting, 7:00 pm

Dodson Pat is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: EAA Chapter 31
Time: Feb 3, 2021 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/79690788683?pwd=eTFiUU1vTE9yOWRtdWJnV3A5cGRMdz09

Meeting ID: 796 9078 8683
Passcode: 38whYZ

On the agenda will be:

Shelly Humble will be giving us an update on all things going on at the airport.

Gary Ludeke will be letting us know how things are going with Dale’s Zenith.

I have asked Mark Bailets to give us a brief overview of what he does so we can come up with some ideas for a future in person presentation. He has extensive experience in composites and if someone(s) have some projects or repairs that they could us some help with or in-site on, he is willing to come to Creswell to do a presentation when we can get back to regular meetings.

Thank you, Pat Dodson

« Older blog posts • Newer blog posts »