Jun 22

2021 Young Eagles Volunteers

Chapter 31 will be doing the 4th of July Young Eagles this year. We will be needing as many volunteers as we can get. We will need people for escorting kids to the airplanes, helping with sign ups, parking, etc. Please contact myself, Pat Dodson (541-968-3253) or John Kuehl (541-729-1217) if you are able to participate in any way.

Thank you, Pat Dodson

Jun 15

Larry Davis

It is with sadness that I report that Larry Davis passed away today at the adult care home where he was living! He lived right up to the very end. He went to lunch on Sunday with his son David, and went to lunch with Milon Whittier and Dave Cole yesterday. Following yesterday’s lunch Milon brought Larry the the Creswell Airport for his last visit. Milon told me that Larry’s son is thinking about having some form of memorial gathering at Larry’s house. I’ll keep you posted when I learn more.

Gary Ludeke

Jun 09

Meeting Minutes from the 6/2/2021 meeting

Meeting Minutes from the 6/2/2021 meeting.

President Pat Dodson, V.P. Rod Johnson and Secretary/ Treasurer Randy Stout as officers were present when the Meeting started at 7:00 (on the dot!) at the clubhouse in Creswell. There were 16 Members in attendance. The only guest was Shelly Humble who gave the following report:

Runway Rehab – After careful consideration the City will not be asking for the extension at this time but will look to have the justification completed during the Master Plan Update in 2024-2025.

2020 COAR grant – Emergency generator project construction will be staring in the next few weeks.

2021 COAR grant – Will purchase EOC equipment once the Generator project is underway.

Notified  of another  possible grant award to install taxi lanes for new hangars – more when I know.

North end development – City is working with Aqua Resource Design and Consulting to design and install a wastewater system for the airport.

July 4th – event will be held from 10:00 – 2:00.  Static displays, flyover by local aviators and hopefully the Military Jets. Kona shave Ice will be here from 10 – 12.  Will look for a food vendor to be there for those hours.  Will have presentation of flags by boy scouts and the national anthem sung.  And young eagles.  Will work with Pat to figure out logistics for the day but will need volunteers to set up, work the event, and tear down/clean up.  More to come

Budget will be presented to Council on June 14th and if no objections, it will pass.  In the budget this year is $100,000 to purchase hangars. EOR  

Thanks Shelly as always!

The business portion of the meeting was then called to order.

  * Checkbook balance was $1979.56 as of the date of the meeting.

    Please note that 2021 dues are due and have been received from

    only 28 members so far. Please mail the $25 check to: EAA Chapter

    31, 86277 Panorama Rd., Springfield, OR 97478 Thanks!!

Past member Tom Cunningham addressed the group to ask if they would like to cook burgers and dogs at the upcoming Wings and Wheels event to be held on June 26th at Cottage Grove in support of the Oregon Aviation Historical Society. There were no hands raised so Tom will be looking elsewhere.

Gary Ludeke then noted that past member Virgil Pratt is selling his Skycoupe. (The same type as past member Doug Kindred flew). This is like a mini Tri-Pacer with 600 SMOH on a O-235. It is in annual and has an asking price of $12,500.

Another member noted that he was quoted $4200 for homebuilt insurance on an LSA. He is 78 years old. Gives you a pause.

Past President John Kuehl would like to do YE’s on the 4th of July, but he needs about 12 ground volunteers and 6 or so pilots with planes. So far, we only have a few of each. He will be reaching out to everyone to see if he can get this event “off the ground”! Please call him if interested. Pat noted that he has already applied for EAA national insurance for the event.

John then discussed the issue of setting wash out on his wings after he turned them over. It becomes difficult to get your data points right when that happens. Any constructive ideas would be appreciated.

President Pat then talked about the work that he and Gary Ludeke did on his Tiny 2. They riveted the lower skin on the left wing and they need to get the trim in before doing the upper skin. Good work guys!

There being no other business, John Kuehl played the (short) Chapter Video from National

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:00PM (also sharp)

Respectfully submitted,

Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

Jun 01

Finale Reminder, June Chapter 31 Meeting

We are having our June Chapter 31 meeting tomorrow night, Wednesday, June 2nd at 7:00pm and will be having pizza for dinner starting at 6:00pm. Meeting and meal is at the Chapter 31 club house at the south end of the Creswell Airport. Cost for the meal is $8.00.

Doug Kindred has proposed an opportunity for our group to make some money (or at least have a good time) cooking and serving hamburgers at the Wings and Wheels event at the Cottage Grove Airport on Saturday, June 26. He will give the full details at the meeting.

Hopefully, Shelly Humble will be able to be present to give us an up-date on the latest goings on at the airport.

Be prepared to give the membership an update on your airplane projects.

I hope to see you all there, Pat Dodosn

May 29

June Chapter 31 meeting reminder

Our monthly meeting is coming up this Wednesday, June 2nd at 7:00pm. We will be having pizza starting at 6:00 and the cost is $8.00. Please come and eat and visit. Meeting is at the clubhouse at the south end of the Creswell airport.

Masks are optional.

I have found out that Kyle Bushman will be unable to attend and give a presentation so we will be asking members to give updates on their projects and activities.

On another note, Virgil Pratt has decided to sell his Sky-Coupe and is asking $12,000 for it. It has an O-200 engine that has been recently overhauled. For more information contact Gary Ludeke at (541)914-8605 or talk to him at the meeting.

Pat Dodson

May 26

June Chapter 31 Meeting

We will be having our June Chapter 31 meeting on Wednesday June 2nd at 7:00pm. The meeting is at the chapter clubhouse at the south end of the Creswell airport.

We are going to have pizza at 6:00pm, cost is $8.00 for the meal.

If you have been vaccinated, masks will not be required.

Kyle Bushman is scheduled to give a presentation on pre-purchase inspections and what to look out for.

Thank you, Pat Dodson

May 20

Meeting Minutes from the 5/5/2021 meeting

President Pat Dodson, V.P. Rod Johnson and Secretary/ Treasurer Randy

Stout as officers were present when the Meeting started at 7:01 at the

clubhouse in Creswell. There were 15 Members in attendance. The only

guest was Shelly Humble who, after an update on Sid Voorhees loss of his wife, gave the following report:

Airport Manager’s Updates

Runway Reconstruction Design Update

Ms. Humble stated that a Biologist completed the first of three step process on the Streaked Horn Lark Study and found none which is great news.  If there are no Streaked Horn Larks found during this study, the airport will not be required to perform another study for five years.

2020 COAR Grants Update – Generator for EOC

The Emergency Operation Generator project is progressing and hopes to have construction starting soon. Shelley stated that she is finalizing the contracts so that the notice to proceed can be given.

2021 COAR Grants Update

Shelley will be working to acquire the EOC equipment detailed in the 2021 COAR EOC Equipment Grant.

North End Development – Wastewater Design Update

Shelley Humble updated the Commissioners as to the status of the north end development/Wastewater Design.  Ms. Humble stated that the City and Airport are working with Aqua Resource Design and Consulting to complete the design for the Wastewater System on the airport to service all tenants.  The next steps are to dig test holes for an inspection by Lane County which is the government entity that issues Wastewater permits.  The City is continuing to work with the interested parties regarding the hangar build on the north end.

Helicopter Operations – Rules and Regulations Update

The airport now has a based helicopter tenant on the north end and that she has received regarding rotor wash.  Shelley stated that she has spoken to Mr. Gustafson to gain information on Helicopter operations.  A possible work session could be scheduled to  review of the current rules and regulations to see if any additions/updates are needed. 

July 4th Event

Airport Manager  stated that the City Council has requested that the Airport hold a 4th of July event at the airport similar to the event held last year.  The Chamber of Commerce has been able to fill all vacant board of directors position so they will take over the planning of the July 4th events for the Creswell City.  Kona Ice has been confirmed to be at the airport form 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m..  The Airport will work with the EAA to create the event, more details to follow.

Thanks Shelly as always!

The business portion of the meeting was then called to order.

  * Checkbook balance was $1979.56 as of the date of the meeting.

    Please note that 2021 dues are due and have been received from

    only 21 members so far. Please mail the $25 check to: EAA Chapter

    31, 86277 Panorama Rd., Springfield, OR 97478 Thanks!!

There being no other business, President Pat then invited member Paul Buhler to give his presentation on making molds to make parts from composite or other materials. It was very interesting when he sent around the room several molds he had made (one for a climbing rock!) Thanks Paul!

After this presentation, John Kuehl played the (short) Chapter Video from National and a Homebuilders Corner video on Folding wing aircraft.

The meeting was then adjourned at 8:12PM

Respectfully submitted,

Randall Stout, Secretary/ Treasurer

May 05

Final Reminder; Chapter 31 May meeting.

Chapter 31 will be having our May meeting tonight at 7:00pm at the Chapter 31 club house at the south end of the Creswell Airport. Please come a bit early to visit with fellow members.

Face covering will be required.

On the agenda will be;

Shelly Humble will be giving us an update on all things Creswell Airport.

Paul Bueler will be making a presentation on casting your own parts.

Hope to see you tonight,

Pat Dodson

« Older blog posts • Newer blog posts »